Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lazy Housewife Pickles/Million Dollar Relish

Posted by midnightsmum 4b ON on Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 22:51

OK, I must add my 2c to this. It is almost pickle time here, so these have been on my mind - sorry no pics, yet.

Lazy Housewife Pickles, a.k.a Washing Machine Pickles

Some of you may remember this from a few years ago, when I bought 11 quarts of gherkins, the black spined type. The lady at the farm where I purchased them suggested that she washed hers in the washing machine - brilliant. It worked so well, that I did the salt soak overnight in there too. Short story, it was not my washing maching, but my cousin's....we are still speaking, but it was touch and go for a while.

Brine:
3/4 gallons vinegar - cider or white - 2.5 l.
1 qt. water
1 cup pickling salt
1/2 lb. white mustard seed - 200 gr.
1/4 lb. dry mustard - 100 gr.
1 oz. curry powder - heat level is your choice
1 oz. turmeric
3 cups white sugar

Mix above together in a crock, or food safe bucket. I keep this in a cool place, but if you have space, fridge would be OK.

Soak cukes in 10:1 water-salt solution. Also really yummy with pearl onions, baby carrots, beans, zukes. Beets will change the colour, but still yummy.

The gherkins are ready in about 2 days. If kept cool, the brine lasts about 2 months. I tie the whole mustard in a cheesecloth bag, otherwise it is messy.

Million Dollar Relish - makes 9 pints.

3 quarts finely chopped cucumbers - cuisinart french fry blade is good.
1 quart finely chopped onions
3 peppers - I do 2 green 1 red - your choice - chopped
1/2 cup pickling salt

Mix above well and leave overnight.

Drain well and put into pot.

Add:
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. celery seed
6 scant cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups vinegar

Bring to a boil and seal hot.

Family and friends clamour for the above. Hope you enjoy them too!!