Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Rhubarb Chutney

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 V. Island B.C. on Tue, Jan 29, 08 at 11:17

I don't know if this was a good idea or not, I can feel my waistband expanding as I read these delicious sounding recipes LOL.

DH and I go to a little english style pub on occasion and have their ploughman's lunch. They serve a lovely rhubarb chutney with it. I of course coaxed the recipe out of them. I cut the recipe in half as there is only the two of us.

RHUBARB CHUTNEY
4 cups chopped rhubarb..or..plum, apple, rhubarb combination
2 cups vinegar
4 cups chopped onion
1 TBSP salt
4 cups brown sugar
1 TSP cloves
1 TSP cinnamon
1 TSP allspice
To this I add a few golden raisins

Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil in a large heavy pot. Cook slowly for 2 hours. Thicken with cornstarch if needed. Seal in jars, I always process them in a hot water bath but the recipe didn't call for it. This will fill 6 or 7 jelly jars.