Monday, November 10, 2008

Curried Winter Squash Bisque

Posted by midnightsmum 4b ON on Sun, Nov 9, 08 at 20:05

A holiday favourite for my Guests!!!
from Bert Greene's "Greene on Greens" - 1 of my fav cookbooks

Curried Winter Squash Bisque - serves 6 to 8

The spices in this soup are very important - can't stress this enough. Use the spices the 1st time you make it, then experiment thereafter!! This is a very easy recipe to make for vegetarians, or vegans, without sacrificing the flavour - OK, unless you really want the ham/bacon flavour.

2 tbls. unsalted butter - OK, I use salted. margarine for vegans
6 whole scallions, bulbs and green tips finely chopped -
OK, I use whatever onion is in my Fridge.
1 clove garlic, minced - I probably use more
1 small green pepper, seeded and finely chopped- I use Red, probably large
1/4 cup fresh parsley,plus extra for garnish -seldom use it
2 tsps. fresh basil
1 - 2 lb. butternut squash, peeled seeded and cubed - OR, buttercup squash, baked in the oven - way better
1 ham bone or 1/2 lb. chunk of smoked ham-I don't use it
1 14 oz. can of plum tomatoes
4 cups Chicken Broth, or veggie broth
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground mace
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
2 tsps. ground curry, choose your desired level of heat
salt and pepper to taste.

If you use fresh spices, it's much better!

Method: melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat; add scallions/onions for 2 mins. Add the garlic, green pepper, 1/4 cup of the parsley and the basil. Cook, stirring occasionally on med-low for 5 mins.

Add the squash, the ham-bone, if using, and the broth, spices(except curry and S&P) and tomatoes. Heat to boiling, then reduce to simmer. Cover and cook 1 hour. Remove ham bone and meat.
Blend/puree the soup in small batches, being careful of the hot liquid. Add the curry, return to boil, then simmer for 10 mins., stirring frequently. Add Salt and Pepper. Garnish with parsley.

As Bert says, this is a very hearty soup. Serve with sharp cheese, fresh bread and a green salad. It is filling. I usually double this, and still have 8 people looking for more!!!

I usually start my New Year's brunch with this!!! And yes, even after brunch, much later, they are trolling the kitchen for any soup I might have squirrelled away !~~ lol.