Wednesday, July 2, 2008

From My Kitchen to Yours Curry Sauce

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 V. Island B.C. on Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 16:16

From My Kitchen to Yours Curry Sauce :o).

I came up with this after trying a curry sauce that I found too rich for our tastes. I really don't measure but will try to give approx. amounts.

Saute I/2 a chopped onion in 1 or two TBSP margarine
When soft add 1 TBSP Curry powder (my choice Sharwood's Hot
Add 1/4 Salt and 3 TBSP flour
Stir in 1/2 cup of applesauce ( I use 2 cups of MOTTS Fruitsations original)
Add 3/4 cup water and 3/4 cup 1% milk, bring to a simmer and simmer for 1 hour. Serves ? I make this for two and there is always some left over.

This is great for adding leftover chicken, shrimp, lamb, and served over Basmati (sp) rice.

The original recipe called for butter, cream, chopped apples and mushrooms. I have to admit I really butchered the original recipe, you couldn't taste the mushrooms so why bother, I like the touch of sweetness the applesauce adds rather then the chopped apple which can give the sauce a tartness. Who needs the cream, save those calories for dessert and I use Becel marg instead of butter.

We usually just ladle the sauce over rice and have it with Shake and Bake Chicken, not fancy but tasty.

The water is a substitute for chicken broth.

One other thing, my daughter adds the applesauce just before serving, just her preference.